Tuesday 7 October 2008

At the Athens Airport

Athens airport is in many ways the antithesis of Copenhagen airport: unstylish, inconvenient, and low on amenities.

I wanted to buy some water for my flight. There were plenty of options pre-security, but those are of course useless. After security, I found a sole vending machine near my gate. 500ml of water for 50 euro cents -- a good price. But it wouldn't take my 2-euro coins, which is all I had. So I walked all the way across the terminal to find the only other option: 500ml bottles of soda for 3.10 euro each at a little refreshment stand. Six times as much for something I wanted less.

And on going through security, I was told my 118ml bottle of contact lens solution was too big and would have to be confiscated. Can't be more than 100ml. Even though it was only half full. Now, the people here are just following the rules. I don't begrudge them that. It's just some of the rules are ridiculously stupid. This particular rule is one of many that wastes tax (and in this case consumer) dollars and time for, in my opinion, no benefit.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

And the liquid rule is extra fun when traveling with a kid (we won't even mention the additional problems involved with the need for "extra special liquid" for their allergic little guts). In theory you're supposed to be able to get through with what you need for an infant/toddler, but in actuality it depends on the power & control issues (& common sense) of the security person you happen to fall victim to.

In Chile you can travel with almost anything you want and the security process is simple (sort of like it was in the US 20 years ago). No removing shoes, stroller goes through the metal detector with sleeping child in it rather than removing said child to put stroller in x-ray machine, liquids are no issue at all and they don't even check your tickets and ID 3 times. You also don't have to pay for a ticket for a child until they are 5 or 6.

Glad you got to see the Acropolis. Jonas has said the same thing about the monuments there, how people just do whatever to them. It's too bad. The taxi ride sounds like Mexico (only I imagine it all in much narrower streets).

David said...

One of my favorite discussions in law school was when I asked some of my extra-security-favoring classmates what sort of security measures they'd implement if some terrorist ended up concealing a plastic explosive up their butt.