Tuesday 21 October 2008

London Living

I work in a fairly new building. My law firm moved into it about two years ago, when it was first completed. In those two years, the people who manage the building don't seem to have been able to figure out the fire alarm. We had dozens of fire alarms in the first few months. They've tapered off over time, but we had another one today.

Since I had to evacuate the building (the fire warden came around and practically yanked me from my desk) and my BlackBerry's reception was having problems, I decided to walk down to Liverpool Street station to get a haircut. But Liverpool Street station had been evacuated, too, on account of a security threat.

Liverpool Street station was not functioning last night, either. I left work at around 7:20 to get to an 8:00 antenatal class. When I got to Liverpool Street, the power had just gone out on the Central line that runs out to our house (and to the nearby antenatal class). I suppose I'm glad I wasn't in the Tube when it happened. But I had to take a train halfway there and then get a taxi (which meant waiting 15 minutes in a line, in the cold rain). Taxis in London aren't cheap. So I spent around $30 just to get out to the class.

These are the routine joys of living in London.

No comments: